From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actor framework for data acquisition and data process pattern

Solved!
Go to solution

Good to know. My project needs 5kHz message rate. So I think AF message is not competent for that.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(1,341 Views)

@wrkcrw00 wrote:

Mixing and matching frameworks is ok, you just need to understand the complexities and hopefully know what you are doing Smiley Surprised.

Exactly!

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(1,340 Views)

The extra overhead of the Actor Framework queue system is pretty minimal. I work on large actor based applications where a large percentage of messages/inter actor communications are piped through a mediator - actors publish data (send a mediator an AF message), mediator sends the data to a dedicated topic actor for that particular data topic, then the topic actor sends the data to its list of subscribers. Many of these applications have hundreds of messages being sent between actors every second, and I have never seen a performance issue that was related to the AF queues. 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(1,328 Views)

@paul.r wrote:

The extra overhead of the Actor Framework queue system is pretty minimal. I work on large actor based applications where a large percentage of messages/inter actor communications are piped through a mediator - actors publish data (send a mediator an AF message), mediator sends the data to a dedicated topic actor for that particular data topic, then the topic actor sends the data to its list of subscribers. Many of these applications have hundreds of messages being sent between actors every second, and I have never seen a performance issue that was related to the AF queues. 

Really? Then how about 5 kHz messages per second? 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(1,324 Views)

For some systems higher message rates work. As for my Q creation on the fly, my entire actor system is defined from a set of config files. The system is highly configurable because the same SW runs dozens of unique test systems. Within the config file, I define a set of processes (actors) and the connections between them (Q's). My application creates these Q's on the fly and hands them to the appropriate process. Note that in my pipelined data stream the data sets are all transferred in the same format, so I don't have to worry about message classes and formats. I needed the transfer to be as fast as possible. 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(1,320 Views)
@champion2019 wrote:

Really? Then how about 5 kHz messages per second? 

In this really simple example, I am able to send 50,000 messages to an actor in about 200ms. The time from when I send the last message, to when the actor receives and processes the last message, is about 1 second. 

The send rate in a real world use case will depend on what is in the payload - sending messages with a lot of data will be slower. Additionally, if the actor is slow to process the messages, the queue buffer will need to be resized periodically, which will add time to the send.

So, yes, the actor framework is more than capable of handling 5000 messages/S.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 26
(1,317 Views)