From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Chess Robot

Contact Information

University and Department: Beijing Information Science & Technology University, Department of Electronic Information Engineering

Team Members: Wu Rongfu, Zhang Haoyang, Zhang Xun

Faculty Advisors: Zhou Jinhe, Professor

Primary Email Address: zhoujinhe@bistu.edu.cn

Primary Telephone Number: 86-10-6488-4717

Project Information

Parts used to design and complete project:

NI Vision, NI Vision Assistant, NI LabVIEW

The challenge that the project is trying to solve:

Chinese Chess is one of the Chinese culture's oldest games, with a recorded history of over 1000 years. With the rapid development of computer science, human-computer games are becoming very popular. But most chess games can be only played on the computer instead of on a real chessboard. Our task is to design a real-time robot which can play Chinese Chess. The robot's arm can be used to handle the movement of the chessmen, making the human-computer game more interesting and user-friendly.

The challenge is meeting the time-critical requirements of this robot system. First, the image processing of the chessboard and chessman must be rapid, and no error can be allowed for the pattern match results. According to the different game levels, the runtime of chess algorithm should be different. For the intermediate level, the robot should finish the calculation of chessman's movement within five seconds. Finally, the motion control of the robot arm to move and fetch chessmen is also complicated.

How they addressed the challenge through their project:

The robot was developed using graphical programming environment NI LabVIEW which supports Intel Core Duo 2, with the integration of Matlab and C++ code. External hardware included a PCI-E extended card, a 1394 camera, MCU system, operation panels, and an optional network touch panel. The main framework of the system was built by LabVIEW.

The robot uses LabVIEW to initialize the program, to call chess algorithms DLL, to calculate the robot's move-step, to control the robot's movement, and to send command data to MCU system through the serial port. The command data is then checked by CRC16 to guarantee the reliability of communication. After the data is verified by the MCU, the MCU directs the robot arm to take corresponding action according to the command, using the pneumatic manipulator to grasp and move chessman. Lastly, the robot arm returns to the original point to wait for the next command.

Pictures:

Chinese Chess Robot

Chinese Chess Robot 2

The Team

Project video can be found at:

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XOTE1NTQxMDQ

Comments
hanyang19861017@163.com
on

Hi! Wu Rongfu, Zhang Haoyang, Zhang XunI am a student in china ,persuning a master degree in Zhejiang Sci-Tech University Zhejiang Province in China, my research area is parallel robotics.Now i am studying the labview softmotion for solidworks ,any reply will be apperciated ,looking forward your reply ,my chinese name is hanayng ,my address is the College of Mechanical Engineering and Automation in Zhejiang Sci-Tech University ,5 Second Avenue,Xiasha Higher Education Zone ,Hangzhou,China,310018,my email is hanyang19861017@163.com ,my MSN Number is hanyang19861017@Hotmail.com,if you want to communicate with me about the skill of softmotion for solidworks ,please add me ,thank you very much , my MSN Number is hanyang19861017@Hotmail.com my ph num. is 13634129375,QQ575748306 your sincerely hanyang,

Hoopla_1
on

I really like your chess project..

Contributors