From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Type Palette element details from LabVIEW?

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings! I'm trying to get a list of all the elements in a specific type palette member from LabVIEW and having no luck. I can get the list of the names of every element in all the type palette members, but that's just making more work for myself.

What I'd like to do is get an array of the names of only the types in NI_Veristand Types.ini so I can check the name to see if the new step I'm adding in a programmatic sequence generation routine is valid. 

Can anyone help me out here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,315 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ElectricWraith

This VI may help.  I threw it together so I hope it is doing the right thing.  You may have to relink the engine automation refnum to the creatable object.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 7
(4,307 Views)

That appears to have been precisely what I was seeking!

Thanks, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,304 Views)

So now I have a new problem. I can't seem to figure out how to get the sub-properties that are specific to each step. All I see is very generic-looking PropertyObject class methods and properties, and all the ones I've tried so far either simply don't work or expect me to know what property I'm looking for ahead of time via lookup string. Obviously if I knew which property I was looking for, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing...

Help me out again, O Wizard of the TestStand API?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,278 Views)

I guess I'm not sure what you are looking for here.  Is this related to the Type Palette issue or are you just curious in general on how to get subproperties of a Step through the API?

Generally what you do is convert the Step to a PropertyObject and then use the Get methods.  For instance GetValString or GetValNumeric.  Because these are subproperties you would use a lookup string that is relative to the Step.

The attached image shows how to ge the measurement for the numeric step type.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,276 Views)

It's fairly specific (although the solution will solve the more general case you outline) in that I'm seeking the properties associated with a given Veristand Custom Step. For instance, looking at the Get Multiple Channel Values step in a TS sequence, I'm interested in what's in the Property Browser. For this specific step it's the Values To Set and ChannelNames properties.

My overall goal is programmatic TS sequence generation from LabVIEW, and at the moment I'm working on the Veristand Custom Steps portion of my code. I can generate the sequence with whatever VS Custom Step I want at the moment, now I'm trying to expose the properties to set/get in each of the available VS Custom Steps.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,271 Views)

Hi ElectricWraith,

If you need assistance accessing the VeriStand Custom Steps from TestStand, the VeriStand Steps for TestStand forums are the resource that we recommend. Please feel free to post your questions here as well: https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/25202

Ben

Message 7 of 7
(4,236 Views)