cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD when compiling project in CVI 2013 SP1 from a network drive

Solved!
Go to solution

Gents,

I have just received and installed CVI2013 SP1 (version 13.0.1 build 201) and I have the same problem that I observe with patch f1. When I build several times my project which is located on a network drive (due to clearcase version control) I obtain a BSOD. If I copy the entire project on a local drive the problem disapear.

I put my project files (only CWS and PRJ) in attachment, may be it could help you to find the issue.

Regards,

Stephane

Labwindows/CVI user since version 4.0
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,558 Views)

Nobody has idea concerning this issue ?

It is very blocking as it prevent using the compiler with clearcase dynamic views located on network drives.

Regards

Stephane

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,402 Views)

Hello Stephane,

Does this BSOD only occur with this one project you are using? You mention that the crash occurs when you "build several times." Is there a certain frequency of builds that leads to the crash? Does the crash happen reliably after a certain number of builds or intermittently? Does the crash occur when only building your project or does it also occur duing rebuild? Are you using the batch build feature?

Which version of IBM Rational ClearCase are you using? Can you give more information about your build process using dynamic views? Where are the files your project references located?

Please provide as many diagnostic details you can.

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,284 Views)

Thanks Daniel for your time,

This BSOD occur when building this project (it looks that it occur more frequently when using debug configuration) and I have also a systematic BSOD when I try to create an installer. The crash frequency decrease when I use rebuild instead of build but I have not performed a lot of stats because reboot process is long. I am using clearcase version 7.1.2.4 on windows 7 Entreprise (SP1). The problem occur only on dynamic views located on a network drive (MVFS file system mounted as drive 'm' ) as you can see in the project file attached with my first post. When I use a snapshot view of the same project located on my hard drive I am able to build (in debug and release mode) and create the installer without any issue. Before version 2013 I never observe such issue when working on dynamic views.

Regards,

Stephane 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,269 Views)

What kind of network sharing is it ? In previous versions of CVI I had problems when CVI was in a virtual machine and the source code in a directory experted by the virtual machine, which claimed it was SMB, but wasn't due to some missing attributes I guess. The end of the source files was getting mangled but I wasn't getting your problems. I solved it by using a proper Samba export.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,221 Views)

Clearcase Version Control system uses its own file system called MVFS for dynamic views. Here is a small description :

"The MultiVersion File System (MVFS) creates a virtual file system specifically designed for accessing data within a Rational ClearCase VOB.

The MVFS works similarly to UNIX® Network File System (NFS), in that it loads a kernel driver that presents a file system to the user through a standard interface within the Windows, UNIX or Linux kernel."

My clearcase server is located on a dedicated Unix machine. I am not using a virtual machine to run CVI.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,217 Views)

Hello Stephane,

It seems like there are several instances of ClearCase dynamic views causing BSODs during various network transactions, including but not limited to the following accounts:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21429610

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21422708

Is there any debug information you can get from the Unix server regarding the crash, or perhaps even retrieve a crash dump from the Windows machine?

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,202 Views)

Thanks for your answer daniel, I am going to check with my clearcase support team if it is possible to upgrade to version 7.1.2.14 and check if the problem disapear. I will also try to get some debug info from the unix server.

Regards,

Stephane

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,186 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stef_fr

Gents,

I have upgraded my clearcase to version 8.0.0.9 and I am now able to create installers properly when my project is located on dynamics view.

Many thanks for your supports,

Regards,

Stephane

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,173 Views)