From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logarithmic time axis

Hi all!

I have a really mean problem. In my current project I have to read measurement values from a device, doing some calculations, save the data to a file and make some nice graphs. Sounds like an easy job, but: The graph drive me nuts. There is a new value every second and one session will last for about one week. So I thought about a logarithmic time axis. I would liked to use a stripchart, but data have to move in y-direction and there is no way to rotate a stripchart. The idea was to use a graph with a logarithmic y-axis in absolute time format. So we could see the newest data with high resolution and older data will be more and more compressed, as older they are. But it seems to me that something like that is not possible, isn't it?

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,181 Views)

It's unrealistic to show data at this resolution for such a long period anyway, so why don't you provide several displays ? Say, one strip chart with the 1s data of the last hour and one where you average (or other processing) the data over a minute and display the last day (or more). Or a plot (not a strip chart) of the averaged data, with zoom options. Catch the zoom so you can have a third display of an arbitrary section at the 1s resolution. Do some tests.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,171 Views)

Yes, that is something I thought about last night. I will try it with a tabbed section in the ui. In the tabbed section I can have a real time display and some averaged ones. To catch a zome is also a good idea. So I can have a kind of magnifying class. Thank you for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,164 Views)