From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keyboard focus on indicators

Solved!
Go to solution

Yes, it will draw attention to indicators but will not give focus.

Try it (smiley-wink)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(2,324 Views)

Black FP BG color is a poor choice! how would you ever see control highlighting Smiley LOL

highlight being Black on black, you COULD use blink.  You can even change the blink colors from tools>>Options >>Enviornment (Only applies to new vis so you will have to change the option, create a new vi and then copy the old vi.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(2,311 Views)

Put it in a For loop to highlight it three times or so.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(2,303 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Black FP BG color is a poor choice! how would you ever see control highlighting Smiley LOL

highlight being Black on black, you COULD use blink.  You can even change the blink colors from tools>>Options >>Enviornment (Only applies to new vis so you will have to change the option, create a new vi and then copy the old vi.

We already have too many of those blinking blinkers on several subpanels! We hope to eliminate many of them in this project.

We do plan to reconsider the panel color, retesting for visibility of controls in extremes: bright sunlight and near total darkness.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(2,292 Views)

Hey Ben, Something here sounds vaguely familliar. Smiley Surprised  EDIT: Link corrected Thanks Ben

Any relation Jeffrey? 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(2,272 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@MinerHokieRamp wrote:

@tst wrote:

@MinerHokieRamp wrote:

Some operators might want to click on the boolean (LED) as they've done in the past. If I convert indicators to controls and use local variables, is there a way to lock the controls to prevent manual toggling? Set the enabled state to disabled?

That will work, but as Gerd says, will prevent keyboard navigation. You could use the Mouse Down? event for those controls and discard it, but before you go down that path, it sounds to me like you either need to rethink your UI or explain it better to us, because at the moment it sounds like a weird combination of things that you want to allow and disallow and you may be driving yourself down an unnecessary hole of workarounds.

It's a large array of LEDs (at present, they're indicators), with Mouse Down on each LED triggering an event and causing an info screen to pop up.

So the operator doesn't have to use the touchpad, I'd like to tab through the LEDs and push the ENTER key for the pop-up. Thus, I need to tab among the LEDs and make the focus visible to the operator and I need to change event triggers to Value Change.

tst was right- your going down a rabbit hole.

Create an info button and put it next to the indicator

Duplicated a couple of indicator event cases and changed the new cases to 'value change' for their corresponding control. Left the existing mouse down cases as-is.

I set the 'not in focus' background and foreground colors (both true and false) to transparent and chose a deep blue for the 'in focus' colors. Then, I sent the controls 'to the back' and slid them underneath the indicators, making sure the rectangular controls are large enough to protrude on both left and right sides of the round LEDs. Not sure I'd leave them underneath the LEDs in the final product.

It works. Good to have this as an option.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(2,249 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Hey Ben, Something here sounds vaguely familliar. Smiley Surprised  EDIT: Link corrected Thanks Ben

Any relation Jeffrey? 

Nope.

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(2,219 Views)