LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting rid of old vi's

When I upgrade to LabVIEW 6.1 all of my communication over VXI vi's get overwritten by the same VI with an OLD at the end of the name. Is there a way of making that stop? The OLD vi's don't seem to work quite as well as I would like them to. And the whole point of upgrading is to use the newer technology anyway.

Thanks

Eugene
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Eugene:

The reason you see the word OLD is to clue you in that there is a newer way. The new NI-VXI VI's have error clusters, etc., but I don't think I need to persuade you to use them since you sound like you want to. It's just that these VI's had changes that couldn't be automatically upgraded.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to upgrade, but you could just manually right-click on each instance and change it to the new one. Other LV customers might know a better way to do this - I'm certainly not an expert in the area of knowing *how* to change things large-scale.

If you're willing to change to newer technology anyway, we really recommend using VISA instead of the old NI-VXI VI's. There should be almost a 1-to-1 correspondence in the function
ality, but you'll just have to trade off using a refnum/session instead of just the logical address, for example. But don't worry if you don't want to change, we're not getting rid of the legacy NI-VXI API.

Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-VISA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Eugene: The reason you see the word OLD is to clue you in that there is a newer way. The new NI-VXI VI's have error clusters, etc., but I don't think I need to persuade you to use them since you sound like you want to. It's just that these VI's had changes that couldn't be automatically upgraded.I'm not sure if there's a better way to upgrade, but you could just manually right-click on each instance and change it to the new one. Other LV customers might know a better way to do this - I'm certainly not an expert in the area of knowing *how* to change things large-scale.If you're willing to change to newer technology anyway, we really recommend using VISA instead of the old NI-VXI VI's. There should be almost a 1-to-1 correspondence in the functionality, but you'll just have to trade off using a refnum/session instead of just the logical address, for example. But don't worry if you don't want to change, we're not getting rid of the legacy NI-VXI API.Dan MondrikSenior Software Engineer, NI-VISANational Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,368 Views)

Anonymous wrote:

Dan MondrikSenior Software Engineer, NI-VISANational Instruments

Hi Dan!

A harty "WELCOME BACK" to one of my mentors. I appreciate your following up but ....

Did you notice the dates on this thread?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,363 Views)

I think there's something else going on here. Three of the recent posts by this user have been copies of previous posts. Not sure if the user is accessing the forum from a newsgroup or something.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,358 Views)