LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Help please

What does "a viva with a student" mean?  Is this a mixture of some other language with English?

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 40
(1,305 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

What does "a viva with a student" mean?  Is this a mixture of some other language with English?

www.oxforddictionaries.com (Using World English, not US English) will tell you that is an abbreviation of viva voce (Latin, with the living voice) to indicate oral, rather than in writing. When used as a noun, it is UK terminology for an oral examination.

Rod.

Message 32 of 40
(1,263 Views)

I sent a PM to the author of the post that mentions "viva" mostly to see if the person was an actual teacher. Guess what? He is. And he/she is Pis**ed that students are trying to get their homework done for them on this forum.  So im guessing it means they will get a good "talking to" if they get caught.

Alan

Message 33 of 40
(1,251 Views)

Thanks for that ajamartin.  It's important that these students understand that we are perfectly willing to help them solve their school problems (and hopefully learn something in the process).  However, they must show a serious effort on their part and not expect handouts.  In the future they may use LabVIEW in their professional lives and it will be good to know that there is a resource like this to help them further (even code-sharing), but now is the time for them to learn enough of programming basics to code these projects on their own.

Speaking of basics though, is it just me or does it seem like many of these students show up here with a substantially complex project to complete and ostensibly NO knowledge of LabVIEW?

Is this just laziness on their part or are the Profs expecting too much of them (or perhaps of LabVIEW)???  No offense Profs, I just hope we're not the only ones directing these students to the LabVIEW 101 Tutorials.  LabVIEW is clear and easy to use but it's not magic.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 40
(1,233 Views)

I do hope Prof1 replies as that was the exact question I asked. Prof1 replied that the students are indeed given ALL resources , including in class labs, study materials and reference materials to complete the assignments. So the ones that show in the forum without doing ANY work as just plain lazy, stupid of both.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 40
(1,224 Views)

@ajmartin wrote:

I sent a PM to the author of the post that mentions "viva" mostly to see if the person was an actual teacher. Guess what? He is. And he/she is Pis**ed that students are trying to get their homework done for them on this forum.  So im guessing it means they will get a good "talking to" if they get caught.

Alan

I do not like coaster, slackers and other smart people fishing for an easy way out of homework. On the other hand. I have learned a lot by "reverse engineering" other premade code. Then modifying it and tailor it to fit my specification. In this thread. I am more puzzled by the fact that students struggle so much with a quite simple task.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 40
(1,221 Views)

hi there

you were right a lot is expected of us (new labview users), i have never used labview befor and all the sudden the prof throw at me this thin patches assignement.

i worked very hard to get specs 1 and 2 doen but i the spec 3 is just beyond me i tried clusters ,2d array but it just didn't work for me .

here is what i'v done attached but i couldn't handle this one unfortunately 

(design a VI that will meet Specification 2 and will also be capable of detecting and displaying the start index and the length (number of successive elements less than 1 mm) of each thin patch.).

would you be kind enough and give me some insight on how to aproch it please.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 40
(994 Views)

If you are using a newer version of LabVIEW (2012 or newer), then the Conditional Indexing Tunnels will be your friend here.  You know how to detect the start of a patch, so you just need to supply the index when that happens.  You will also need to figure out when the patch ends and calculate the length (current index - start index).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 40
(950 Views)

@rezarougi wrote:

hi there

you were right a lot is expected of us (new labview users), i have never used labview befor and all the sudden the prof throw at me this thin patches assignement.

i worked very hard to get specs 1 and 2 doen but i the spec 3 is just beyond me i tried clusters ,2d array but it just didn't work for me .

here is what i'v done attached but i couldn't handle this one unfortunately 

(design a VI that will meet Specification 2 and will also be capable of detecting and displaying the start index and the length (number of successive elements less than 1 mm) of each thin patch.).

would you be kind enough and give me some insight on how to aproch it please.

You are not getting anywhere with a *.docx file

Send a snippet-  now That is code!- The Help file could be usefulSmiley Wink

Yes, LabVIEW has many things it can do...... the course title "LabVIEW" should have given you a clue that you might be expected to learn something about "LabVIEW" to pass the course.  Just like "Math 101" might teach you some 3rd grade math concepts

Spoiler
My older sister failed "Math 101" three semesters in a row......... Maybe,  it could have been 2 or 4 She is not all that good with math.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 40
(914 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:  Just like "Math 101" might teach you some 3rd grade math concepts

I thought Math 101 was 5th grade math.  Math 011 was 3rd.

Spoiler
There are 10 types of people, those who understand this horrible joke and those who don't

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 40 of 40
(899 Views)