LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philip's LabVIEW Quick Start

Hello. I am preparing to teach LabVIEW to talented high school students this summer.

I prepared a one-page "Quick Start" that aims to introduce LabVIEW fundamentals. In a spirit of collaboration, I hope you find it useful.

Find it here: Philip's LabVIEW Quick Start.

(Cross-posted to the Mindstorms/Education forum.)

Message 1 of 11
(3,502 Views)

A Common cross-post method is to note where else the post is(with link) and then duplicate the post in both locations.

WHY? many forum users are in the office or only have access to one forum (In my case I have a firewall blocking Mindstorms/Education forum today and cannot see your content)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,497 Views)

Thanks. I added the cross-links.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,492 Views)

In Datatypes, you say booleans are dotted black.  They are actually a dotted green line.

In error detection, usually VI's or functions will not execute if there is an error on the error input wire.  But there are some exceptions, generally for VI's or functions that close resources.  They will still execute even if there is an error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,471 Views)
Hi Ravens Fan,
I wonder which function will execute even if there is any error because till now I was expecting any function will never execute if there is any error in its input but your point made me to know what are those VIs and its seems interesting so if you can give a link where those things are documented then it would be much helpful for everyone.
Thanks
-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,467 Views)

Read this idea and vote for it if you like it.  Visual indication that VI will run even on error.

You need to look at the detailed help for the function to determine if it will run on error or not.

In general, the "Close" type of functions will run even with an error, while most functions will not execute (other than passing on the error and outputting default values on its connectors.)

That idea also links to Darren's nugget Darren's Weekly Nugget 06/07/2010 which discusses the error in functionality.

Message 6 of 11
(3,462 Views)

Well, the obvious ones that will run on error are the ones intended to show those errors, i.e. Simple and General error handlersSmiley Wink.  But again, that should be obvious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,456 Views)

Yes I welcome the Idea. Because it explicitly shows which function/VI will run even there is an error at its input. Also its not an easy job to read the help file of each fucntion to check whether it will run if an error occurred.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,446 Views)

Thanks, Ravens Fan. I fixed both of your findings.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,402 Views)

@P Anand wrote:

Yes I welcome the Idea. Because it explicitly shows which function/VI will run even there is an error at its input. Also its not an easy job to read the help file of each fucntion to check whether it will run if an error occurred.

LV trivia:

You can right-click on a property node and choose "ignore preceeding errors". There will be a small change in the look of the property node to alert you about that option.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,399 Views)