LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to move files more efficiently?

hi,

I am trying to move a large number of files (on the order of 15000-2000 files) from various directories to a single target directory. Currently I am using the Labview Move vi in a for loop to move each file individually. This takes an extremely long period of time.

I realize that with that many files being stored in a single folder, the move command will slow a bit as the windows folder reaches it's limit. However, I was wondering if there was any way to move the files more efficiently. Is there a way to perhaps say "move all *.tif files from Folder1 to Folder2" instead of having to address each file individually in a loop?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,004 Views)
Which version of Labview are you using? It may be possible to use the Communications/System Exec.vi call with the command "move Folder1/*.tif Folder2". I don't know if the System Exec.vi is available in all versions of LV though.
Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,004 Views)
Try a call to the windows API "movefile"
Message 3 of 5
(4,676 Views)

I have just spent the last hour looking for a way to rename folders with files in it, including looking through labview supports unsuccessful  attempt to provide a solution (link). Its amazing that this function does not exist even in LV 2009. Your way with the API works great! Thanks a lot for this contribution!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,313 Views)

your welcome Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,285 Views)