LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 09/13/2010

Whenever I select some code and choose Edit > Create SubVI, I always have to spend a few extra minutes doing the following with the new subVI that was created:

• Change the connector pane pattern (usually to 4x2x2x4)
  • Move terminals around (putting errors in bottom corners, refnums in top corners, etc.)
  • Rearranging the front panel to look nice
  • Renaming controls (i.e. 'error out 2' to 'error in')
  • Wrapping the subVI diagram in an error case
  • Running Clean Up Diagram
  • Editing the VI icon

Wouldn't it be great if some (or all) of these actions could be done automatically?  I've always thought so.  And so has Aristos Queue.  In fact, he has some code ready that, whenever Edit > Create SubVI is invoked, would call a plugin VI (that I have written) that would use VI Scripting to perform those tedious cleanup operations that we must currently do manually.

We would love to add this feature to LabVIEW 2011.  But before we can, we've been told by our project managers that the Create SubVI Improvements idea on the Idea Exchange needs more kudos.  You can read more details about this arrangement here

So if you want to see Edit > Create SubVI actually create a decent subVI, please spend a few seconds and do the following:

1. Go to this link.
  2. Click the "Kudos" button (the up arrow with a + next to it) on the left side of the screen.

If we can get over 160 kudos, we should be able to get a green light on adding this feature to LabVIEW 2011.  So if you want this feature as much as I do, please go kudo that idea if you haven't already.

Message 1 of 25
(7,159 Views)

And if you don't care about this idea but you are willing to do me a favor, click on the Kudos for that suggestions as a favor to me.

Thank you,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 25
(7,132 Views)

Is there a reason this couldn't be in the next service pack instead of waiting until 2011 comes out? (and yes, I kudo that idea a almost as soon as it was posted)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(7,094 Views)

...and in case they ask "Ben NI's Assistant" is not me.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(7,071 Views)

If you still need more arguments to support this idea (it's just 2 mouse clicks and saves you hundereds each day), LAVA is requesting you for the vote as well.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,071 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Is there a reason this couldn't be in the next service pack instead of waiting until 2011 comes out? (and yes, I kudo that idea a almost as soon as it was posted)

We generally avoid putting anything into a service pack that is not very specifically a bug fix. The SP1 releases are pedantic about being bug fixes, not bug creators. They do not have the same long beta period that full releases have, so they avoid any new features as those might be the source of bugs.

And let me reiterate: Getting lots of kudos here does not guarantee this will make it into 2011. This is a "necessary but not sufficient" condition. But getting the kudos at least lets Darren and I try. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(7,020 Views)

We still need 29 28 more as of this post.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(6,993 Views)

I gave my vote.

Darren, could you possibly post (parts of) your code as quickdrop or rightclick plugin? Even when I create the SubVI first and execute this after this would save some mouse clicks. Smiley Wink

Greetings,

shb

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(6,905 Views)

I have just noticed that I was the first to kudo this great idea... Unfortunately we can give only one kudo/idea ! Let's turn the green light on !

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(6,890 Views)

Just gave my Kudos,Nice idea.

Ohiofudu

CLD

Certified LabVIEW Architect.
Ohiofudu Israel

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(6,843 Views)