LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array to spreadsheet string. Empty formatter ignored. BUG

when you want to create an array string that has no seperator you cannot use the Array To spreadsheet string function:

This is a bug in my opinion.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,560 Views)

I thought LV primitives can distinguish between nothing connected to a terminal and something connected. When nothing is connected of course they should use the default value (\t in this case), but if you connect an empty string it should accept it. So I agree this looks like a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,559 Views)

dear Ton,

thank you so much for your example; I created a Corrective Action Request with refrence; CAR#250792.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,516 Views)

This has been a known issue for a LONG time. Technically, it's not a bug since the behavior of the function is correct based on its design. It uses a default value of a tab if it receives an empty string. It's no different than with VIs having a default value for a control.

If you want to change the behavior you should vote for altenbach's idea.

Message 4 of 6
(5,490 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

This has been a known issue for a LONG time. Technically, it's not a bug since the behavior of the function is correct based on its design. It uses a default value of a tab if it receives an empty string. It's no different than with VIs having a default value for a control.

I disagree with that. Our own VIs behave like that since we don't know if anything is wired to a terminal or not. But many LV primitives work differently if you wire something or not. Index Array for 2D or higher dimension arrays for instance works differently when wiring a 0 (default value) or leaving the terminal unwired.

So I would expect the primitive to accept an empty string.

Message 5 of 6
(5,472 Views)

You are perfectly free to disagree. I still say it's not a bug, and if you want the behavior changed, then vote for altenbach's idea. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,466 Views)