From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW MathScript RT Module

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MathScript for Autosamplers

Probably its too easy for many but I am new to Labview so I need help. I am trying to use MathScript to control autosampler's x,y,z movements during dilution process. The problem is I don't know how to put it together. I have learned OOP and understand the programming but here I am totally lost. I guess I can write nested loop for x and y plan motion something like:  for j=0:0.01:2   [Here 0.01 will be the actual value for relative position for a customized tray of tubes/vials which will vary]

{ 

for i=0:0.2:3    [same for 0.02] [motion along row or x-direction]

{

???                  [z-axis movement of probe down]

pump on            [for 5 seconds]          

pump off

???                [z-axis movement upward]

pause (10)         [stop the pump for 10 seconds]

}   % increment and move next, repeat till reaches last position in that row]

}  % increment after one row ends till reaches end of colums, ends operation

I read all the tutorials I could find but have not been able to get more information. Can some one give some help or information? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,809 Views)

Any one? Ok, I guess I don't know how to use the software. May be if I could run some relevant examples it might help. I found one site online. But my computer does not recognize the device either. I have downloaded the NI-DAQmx but I think it has nothing to do with it as with hyperterminal connection the device does move the probe little bit but program still does not work. Can some one help? I am doing my co-op and trying to learn some thing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,763 Views)

@ZenTran wrote:

Any one? Ok, I guess I don't know how to use the software. May be if I could run some relevant examples it might help. I found one site online. But my computer does not recognize the device either. I have downloaded the NI-DAQmx but I think it has nothing to do with it as with hyperterminal connection the device does move the probe little bit but program still does not work. Can some one help? I am doing my co-op and trying to learn some thing. Thanks.

Hi ZenTran,

Are you having trouble developing the application?  Do you need help writing MathScript syntax?  Based on this post and the one before, it's unclear exactly what your question is.

If you need help using the MathScript Node, you can refer to http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/TOC82.htm which is also directly in the LabVIEW Help File.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,761 Views)

Thanks for replying. I want to write a program and run it from my computer that will control a probe's movement in 3D. I was trying to use mathscript to  program the probe (needle) for a device (autosampler in my case) in 3D. I was not sure about Z-direction commands so I wrote the first post. I looked through examples in the NI software but they are kind of totally different topic. Then I thought I should connect the device in actual and see if I could run any thing at all.

But the device does not respond to any labview commands at all (not even mathscript). In order for the computer to communicate and issue commands to the device (autosampler here), I would think I may need to install some driver on my computer so they could interpret each other. But when I open hyperterminal it does make the probe move and that makes me think that I don't need to install any thing specifically. I searched online and found one website that has example vi but that does not work either and my device does not recognize the program. So I am confuse what to do? Can you still help? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,758 Views)

Hi ZenTran,

So it sounds like this probe communicates via Serial, correct?  You'll probably be using the NI-VISA driver to send the commands.  I suggest looking here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4359 and here http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4370 if you are in fact using Serial.  This should get you started with the device.

If you have any other problems, the best forum to use is the Instrument Control forum:  http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/bd-p/140

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,753 Views)

Thanks, Smootastic. You are right it is com1 to com1 and RS-232. I will read the links that you have provided and see if I could resolve by myself before I post there. Thank you for the information.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,749 Views)