LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sappster

scroll window mouse shortcut

I'd like to see the 3rd mouse button (scroll wheel button) activate the scroll window tool and allow me to move the window while held down.
Sappster
14 Comments
hecmar.arreola
Active Participant
This is a good idea and is standard in most Windows Applications where vertical and horizontal scrolling is required.  It would be really nice if you were left-clicking and dragging a block diagram or front panel element and instead of hitting the side of the window to scroll it, you just had to press the middle mouse button down to have a "hand tool" type scrolling action.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Is this the same as "pan"?
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Yes.

If you like this idea, you may also want to pan with the keyboard arrow keys.

J.Maurer

This would be very neccessary because its easy and would prevent r-clicking on the main "init, run, cleanup" sequence and selecting show -> frame x, while the Top is out of the screen. Using keys i not the same.

This is a must and I am wondering that there are so few kudos.

8bitbanger

I use a variety of CAD programs and this would be extremely helpful. Seeing as LabVIEW relies heavily on mouse interaction, I'm surprised this isn't integrated already.

One other adaptation that I've encountered (and it's almost preferable) - is to use scroll-wheel modifier keys to pan L/R. For instance, SHIFT-(scroll) will pan left/right, and (scroll) does typical up/down.

Perhaps the reluctance to make scrolling/panning features is to re-enforce the style guidelines (single window, up/down or left/right scroll only). Making it easier would in some way, promote, or make easier navigating large BD's.... just a thought...

v2009 devel. w/RT
samapico

Scrolling with the middle mouse button is a must, especially since that button does absolutely nothing in LabVIEW at the moment. It just replicates a left-click.

For those interested, I created a script for AutoHotkey (it's free, Google it) that does exactly that. Well. it sends a 'ctrl-shift-click' when you hit the middle mouse button. You can also use it to duplicate something on the block diagram and drag it in a straight line 😛 That's more of a side effect, but I use it.

I also made it so the mousewheel sends ctrl+mousewheel, so I can scroll through cases without hitting ctrl. Since I can scroll with the middle mouse button, it's pretty useless to scroll up and down with the wheel anyway...

Here's the script:

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
GroupAdd, LVWindows, Front Panel ahk_class LVDChild
GroupAdd, LVWindows, Block Diagram ahk_class LVDChild

#IfWinActive ahk_class LVDChild
MButton::Send {ctrl down}{shift down}{MButton down}{shift up}{ctrl up}
MButton up::Send {MButton up}

#IfWinActive ahk_group LVWindows
WheelDown::^WheelDown
WheelUp::^WheelUp
^WheelDown::send {WheelDown}
^WheelUp::send {WheelUp}

adamico
Will AutoHotkey Basic be sufficient to implement this script?
MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

I too would like to see the middle mouse button used to pan the view around a block diagram. I use it contantly in EAGLE and Inkscape, and think LabVIEW would benefit from such a shortcut.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
randol

I do a lot of code refactoring.  Usually huge diagrams that take up several, or more, screens.  For example I just finished refactoring a 4 VI project into a 113 VI project.  I am used to using the middle mouse drag with Eagle and other applications and would like to see this standard shortcut implemented in LabVIEW.