LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlokanis

scroll panel to origin

In LabVIEW 2018 and later, you can press Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-O to scroll the front panel or block diagram window to its origin.

On the front panel of a VI, there is an origin dot (if you show the grid) that indicate the origin (0,0) of the panel.

origin dot.jpg 

I try to design all my VIs so that this dot is always in the upper left corner of the panel (it's starting point when you open a new VI).  This is key for dialog VIs where you might have a lot of controls and indicators that are 'off screen' but you need to scroll the panel to them while editing and testing.  Once you are done, you need to return the panel to this origin so only the items you want the user to see are in view.  Scrolling the panel with the scroll bars to get this dot exactly in the upper left of the panel is not always easy.

What I want is a right click menu option on the panel that is called 'return to origin' or 'reposition to origin' or 'scroll to origin'.  This would save me some unnessesary frustration and help keep my VIs neat and organized.

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
12 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I have a small VI that sets the origin of the FP through the VI server (shown). This functionality needs to sit on the top toolbar (shown).

ZeroOrigin.png

Daklu
Active Participant

"I have a small VI that sets the origin of the FP through the VI server (shown)."

I have the same but it's a hassle to have to access it through the tools menu.  I'm planning on plugging it in to LVSpeak just so I don't have to bother with that.

To take your suggestion a bit further, I'd love to see customizable toolbars, although from what I understand that will be very difficult to implement.

altenbach
Knight of NI
I prefer my idea that the "origin" would only have a meaning during runtime. The need to lock the runtime bounds to the edit time bounds is a severe restriction that should not be necessary. Imagine you create an xcontrol that is only one inch wide. Suddenly, most of the toolbar buttons an menus are not even accessible unless we are messing with the window bounds during edits.
lvABC

jlokanis,

Build in Right-Click option will be very useful during development.

Mean while you can use this JKI Right-Click Plugin if you find it useful.

Thanks

CrystalTech
I'm always having to clumsily manage the corner to the Top Left of the screen while I'm coding.  A Right-Click option would be incredibly helpful. 
Manzolli
Active Participant
Would be nice have, maybe optionally, the controls moved relatively to (0, 0) keeping the relative position among then.
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
LabViewSolutions.com_(Brian)

Great idea on having a quick way to push the front panel and diagram windows back to origin (0,0).  I agree a right click option from either panel is a good approach.  Another way, would be a good idea to simply improve the functionality of the "Scroll Window" option from the control's palette, so that a double-click on the panel would push back to (0,0).

SnowMule
Active Participant

Glad I'm not the only one that wants this feature. 

I'd recommend adding a new menu item to the "Window" menu, "Reset Panel to Origin". 

This is getting frustrating with subpanels, since it loads wherever the panel position is saved at... which could be a few px off.

joergv

Maybe I'm a bit quirky, but I'd like to have this opportunity not only for FP's but also for BD's. Most times it's very hard to move the BD to 0,0 using the scrollbars.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Surprised the Quick Drop plugin wasn't mentioned here.  There is a QD plugin that will do this.  It works for both the front panel and block diagram.

Quick Drop Plugin: Reset Origin

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5