From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samapico

"New -> Child Class" menu item

When creating a class hierarchy, I find it repetitive to have to create a New -> Class, then go in the class properties to set its inheritance. It would be nice to be able to create a new child class directly by right-clicking an existing .lvclass in the project explorer, and selecting New -> Child Class.

6 Comments
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

I think this is going to be one of those "Why the heck didn't I think of that?" ideas for a lot of people 😉

-- Mike
dthor
Active Participant

Why the heck didn't I think of that?

Seriously though, great Idea. I'm still pushing for my Graphical Manipulation of Class Inheritance Idea, and I think your idea is at least a step in the right direction. Smiley Happy

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

I wish I could kudo this again. Why only 24 kudos? There must be more than 24 people reading this that create child classes!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

smmarlow

This is an old idea that I was going to submit but found it here.  My reaction is the same as the others: why only 41 kudos?  Seriously, it should have 400.  I would also like to add an option to have the New -> Child Class copy all of the VI implementations of the parent to the child.  I find it cumbersome to have to re-create the parent VI's when creating a child that has different implementations for most of the parent VI's (such as hardware drivers for similar devices from different manufacturers)

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
Anything LVOOP related seems to top out around fourteen kudos. For comparison to non-LVOOP ideas multiply the number of kudos by ten. That makes this one a home run.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

_carl

Just to repeat everyone else...came here to request exactly this, how does this not have more kudos?

I lose minutes every time I create a new class on large projects -- there's no efficient way to navigate the existing tree, and I would take this right-click approach every time if it existed!  This single feature would literally save me hours a month...