LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

VI templates should (almost) always open as new VIs

(This is an extension of my related recent idea.)

When double-clicking a VI template (*.vit) in explorer or opening one from the file dialog, the *.vit is opened as the existing template for editing. This is not expected behavior and I argue that it should always open as a new VI containing the template code.

(Similarly, if you save a word document as template (e.g. containing a form letter with the company letterhead) and later open it, we always get a new document containing the template content. This is the standard and expected behavior for templates!)

If the new default action for VITs is to open as a new VI, we of course need a different mechanism to open a template for editing. In the simplest case we can of course just save it again as template, overwriting the existing template, but maybe there should be a new menu entry, e.g. "open template for editing", that would mimic the current behavior.

IDEA: If a VI template is opened, it should always open as a plain new VI containing the template code.

1 Comment
jeff.kittle

I agree.  A template should open as a vi with the code.  The right-click menu should be used for the option to edit the template.