LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

VI conversion WebService

Just 5 min ago I was in the situation that I downloaded an example VI from an NI support forum. I double clicked it and I got the message that the LabView-Version that was used for storing the VI is newer that my LabView version 😞

Most likely the VI could run without problems on my old Version (LV2009).

What I suggest to get around this kind of problems are two things:

1) create a web-based service (maybe only for registered users) where users can upload single VIs or ZIP-Files with a complete program structure. The VIs should be converted to the selected LabView version and send back to the user together with a conversion report.

2) integrate this service into LabView: If the user tries to open a VI that was stored in a newer LV version, LV should connect (after user confirmation) to the NI-Server for automated VI conversion.

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

For now, there's the Version Conversion Board.  And I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, I'm just too lazy to perform a search right now.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
GerdW
Knight of NI

I would like to see those Idea be taken by NI's service team to look up all of their AppNotes/WhitePapers/whatever to supply an updated version of any old example code on their website!

It shouldn't be so hard to scan their server and it should be no problem at all for NI to supply a LV2009 version of any older VI...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
TomOrr0W

Strongly Related Idea (not sure if it should count as a duplicate, as that version doesn't mention web service):
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/A-separate-utility-software-for-Upconverting-and-Down...