LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AristosQueue (NI)

Subpanels with "Make Panel Transparent" enabled should allow mouse clicks to fall through to controls behind it

Pop up on a subpanel control. There's an option for "Make Panel Transparent". When you enable that, the background of the panel is transparent and you can see controls/indicators underneath. The key word here is "see". You cannot click on those controls. The subpanel eats the mouse clicks. I talked about this with a couple people and could come up with no use case where you would want a transparent subpanel and not be able to click on the controls behind it. What I think the behavior should be is "if the mouse click hits a control in the subpanel, that control gets the click. If no control in the subpanel gets the click, the click falls through to the controls behind it, if any."

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I don't expect this idea to get many Kudos -- I doubt most people have ever tried to make subpanels transparent -- but I wanted the idea recorded in case someone ever redesigns the subpanel, maybe they'll see this idea and think, "Hey, that's a good idea. I'll include that in the redesign."

F._Schubert
Active Participant

I think there were some posts where other users were fighting with the blocking of elements using decorations (images with transparency) in clusters (???). So this idea should not be limited to SubPanels.

Felix

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I'll expand Felix's request to include click-through on transparent sections of XControls. (This is more important to me than SubPanels, and may have wider appeal.)

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Interesting idea, but it should be an option as many times (most?) you want the transparant part to be clickable e.g. Windows 7 borders, a toning splash screen and such.

With that said, can mouse clicks be sent on through to the system? Like a Mouse down? event.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Karthik_Abiram

I definitely didn't expect that user can't click or enter content on the background controls, even when they are visible(when subpanel BG is transparent). This seems to have only a aesthetic use case, and doesn't seem to support the actual functional use case.

Even after 4 years, this issue is still present in the latest LabVIEW version 2014 😞

------
Using LabVIEW since 2012. Certified LabVIEW & TestStand Architect