LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qizhen

Sub VI without Front Panel

In most of the cases, front panel is not use for a subVI, but it always disturbs me be opening too many windows.  So, there should be a new kind of VI that only have a block diagram.  Terminals could be designated on the block diagram.

帖子被Qizhen在 02-09-2010 11:13 AM
时编辑过了
10 Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
I feel it will create a lot of confusion.
Spectre_Dave
Active Participant

I agree with muks

What happens when the VI is saved without BD or the BD is locked?

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
Qizhen
NI Employee (retired)

VADave 写:

What happens when the VI is saved without BD or the BD is locked?

If the subVI is  is saved without BD, then it would just like a primitive node.   You can use it, but it shows nothing when you double click on it.
If the BD is locked, double click on it will pop up the password dialog.

muks
Proven Zealot

>>If the subVI is  is saved without BD, then it would just like a primitive node.

I feel this is against the spirit of labview. It will most likely result in a code which the original wirer will only be able to decode.......

As such i am against password protecting the vis as well.

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
I think it would make more sense to link a BD node directly to the connector pane, rather than having FP-style controls/indicators that *might* be connected to the connector pane (they're could be nothing more than in-place probles).

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
GregSands
Active Participant

I was about to post the same idea.  Most of the time, I only have one FP I care about - the rest are just getting in the way.  There's not even any need to show FP-style controls/indicators on the BD, just the terminals is entirely sufficient (who cares really what style the controls are if the user never sees them?).  See also connecting to the connector pane from the BD.

JCC_(SK)
Active Participant

I thing crelf is right. It will be better to link block diagram controls and indicators with connector pane.

musk when subVI is password protected/BG removed you can open FP only. When subVI will be without FP you will be not able to open subVI. And that is all.

acardoso

I second this

fabric
Active Participant

acardoso: Then press the big KUDOS arrow... That's how you give support to an idea. 

JimChretz
Active Participant

I would like to have a good answer why it's not implemented.

There should be a special VI Reference class for subvi without front panel...

On the same idea, we could have *.ctl without front panel...?

How to pass data to your inputs if you need to test your subvi before using it in your bigger application? You'll need to create a calling vi just to pass data using it...

Maybe the best would be to let the developper close the front panel without closing the block diagram, then labview would have to remember if the user closes the front panel and save the VI with the front panel closed means he's not interested in the front panel so next time he opens the VI, it should only open the block diagram without the front panel. It's just a boolean flag to write in the VI, "Block diagram prefered". The FP still exists but never has to be opened.