LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daklu

Shortcut to automatically add node to an IPE structure based on wire type

I use the In Place Element structure a lot.  95% of the time it's to work with private class data, but occasionally I use it for other things too.  I get tired of having to navigate the context menu all the time just to add the IPE node I need.

When I'm stringing a wire to an IPE structure, it would be nice if there were some way to have the structure automatically inserted the correct node type and attached the wire to it.  Personally I think ctrl-click on the IPE border when a wire is attached to my cursor would be a good shortcut key for this functionality, but I'll leave implementation details up to the experts.**  Most of nodes work with only one "kind" of wire.

Current IPE border nodes:

Index/Replace Array Element

Split/Replace Array Subarray

Unbundle/Bundle Cluster or Class

Unbundle/Bundle Waveform

To/From Variant

Read/Write DVR

In/Out Element (Void)

If I have a class wire and I ctrl-click on the border of an IPE indicating that I want to auto-insert a border node, there aren't a lot of choices for what kind of nodes will work with that wire.  Same with variants, clusters, and waveforms.  If the wire is some other data type (such as a string) have it insert an In/Out Element node.  The only place where some ambiguity exists is when attaching an array.  Should it insert an Index or a Split node?  I use Index more than Split, but I'll defer to the usability experts an NI again.  They should be able to devise a good way to choose between the two options.

(**These kinds of features often meet resistance because magic button clicks aren't easily discoverable.  I agree that is true, but the original functionality of right clicking on the structure *is* discoverable and will remain.  I do not agree the lack of discoverability is sufficient reason to not add magic button clicks for power users.)

2 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I agree that there's a problem with the IPES. I don't work with it as often as you do, but almost every time I do, I make the same mistake - I wire something into the structure, only to realize that I have to create the border node so I would have something to wire into.

I would propose these changes to your idea to make it more accessible:

1. This will be available as a right click option for tunnels on the structure (i.e. right click -> Add Node). As you said, we could probably select a known node for each wire type, thus not needing more than one menu option. Never mind, the idea already exists - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Replace-wire-connections-on-In-Place-structure-with-ac...

This may or may not have the shortcut you asked for. Also, incidentally, this should be doable today using the JKI RCF, so we can see how it works.

2. Never mind, this exists too - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/The-Border-Nodes-on-the-In-Place-Element-Structure-nee...

This should handle the issue of choosing the Index node, in that it will allow you to replace it.

Thanks for the links yair.  Those idea are related to mine in that all three are ways to make IPE node operations faster.  Interestingly, each of the three address slightly different use cases and all are kudo-worthy:

Broken Arrow's idea simplifies changing existing border nodes.

Greg's idea simplifies converting existing tunnels to border nodes.

My idea simplifies wiring when the tunnel or border node does not exist.