From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooovahh

Shared Icon Editor Glyphs Directory

So at the moment LabVIEW has the icon editor glphs stored in the following location.

<username>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\Glyphs

This is fine, until you login as another user.  Then you realize all of your icons are gone because LabVIEW installed the icons for the user that was logged in when LabVIEW was being installed.

Similarly a problem exists if I am distributing icon editor glyphs of my own.  I have a reuse package with a bunch of useful icons, and I have VIPM install them to that users folder.  The problem is if I login to a machine remotely, and perform the update as my user, then those icons are only installed for that user name, and not all users.

What this idea is for, is to have a shared folder for icon editor glyphs, which is used for all users on that PC.  Some place like

<LabVIEW Install>\Resources\Icon Editor Glyphs

would work, or...

<ProgramData>\National Instruments\Icon Editor Glyphs

Then icons can be installed in one folder, and be shared for all users.

1 Comment
be_elc

On LabVIEW 2020, the icon editor will point to the path:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\Default_Rep\Glyphs

If you want to save your own icons, you have to do it in this directory, for example by creating a directory called “Custom”
But beware ! there is another location:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\Glyphs

What can be confusing.
N.B: It is possible to change the default path in:
Options> Paths> default data directory

HephaistOs