From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
PhillipBrooks

Set "Context Help" using VI Reference

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Add a LabVIEW application method or property that would allow us to set the object of the context help so that we can specify a VI from a tree based browser (much like the Project Window does).

https://lavag.org/topic/9167-context-help-for-a-vi-without-loading/?p=54820

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

5 Comments
Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I don't know what is is about your wording, but it took me far too long to understand what you want.  Maybe its just early.  

I could see value in being able to programmatically set the context help window using an object reference.  But by default the object you hover over is what the help turns into.  So if you overwrote the window with new data, wouldn't moving the mouse over some new object change it again?  Wouldn't you need other methods for turning off the default hover behavior?

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

I would like to create a UI that includes a tree control that organizes the execution order of my test steps. When the user selects an item in the tree, I would like to load the VI help for the item in my tree, much like the behavior of LabVIEW Project Explorer window.

Currently, I only see the context help for the tree control.

The addition of a Property or Method that would accept a reference to a VI ( .vi, .ctl, XControl?) could be set/called using events such as MouseDown or ValueChange to explicitly set the Context Help window contents. If the user moves the cursor to a different screen item, the context help would update as usual.

Basically, a Context Help override capability.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Phillip: Just update the Context Help for the control that you're over. You can read that from the VI (or any other source) and write it to the control. Here's an example where I do that to display the mouse coordinates in the CH.

Untitled.png

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

littlesphaeroid
Active Participant

I support this suggestion, and note that the property and method browse dialogs show the context help for individual properties while hovering over them in a tree control. I can't figure out how to reproduce this behavior, but something close is possible as described here.