LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Saved Searches and Results

I'd like to have the ability to save a LabVIEW search (Find), with some commonly used parameters.  It might be nice to choose between saving the search globally, or in a project.

Also, I'd like to be able to recall recent search results.  Often, my searches are hierarchical: I search for some high-level stuff and then do a more specific search.   I don't want to lose my high-level search results, when I drill down and do a more low-level search (for example, the low-level search might be fruitless, so I need to go continue on with the rest of the results from my high-level search).

2 Comments
danny_t
Active Participant

I do like your suggestion Jim, though I'd go a little further and ask for the the search / find  functionality to be rewritten it is one of the things I HATE about the LabVIEW IDE.

Sorry RANT in progress ....

Firstly it is SO slow and unresponsive, we have about 1500 VI's in our application, as a test I just opened it now at the top level and tried a text search.

It is a modal box until the search has finished.After you press the Find button, it just sits there and does nothing for upto a minute with everything else locked up before it even starts the search. Then it start it search and that takes quite a while as you point out  I cannot save the results of the search, I also cannot print out the search result, I cannot even select and copy the results into a text editor and print that out.

If I want to update the results it is back to the find box which sits there agin for a while before it starts to search often my whole LabVIEW environment goes white and unresponsive while I wait for the search to finish

There have been many great improvements in LabVIEW over the last few releases, but the Find function to me feels like something out of the dark ages. Look at other IDE's Eclipse or Microsoft Studio for how a search should work

Rant over

cheers 

Dannyt

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

It would also be helpful to have a clonal Search Window (right now, if you do two consecutive searches of different things, the first one is lost because the same result window is used for the second one).