LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_L

Right Clicking a SubVI on the Block Diagram should open VI Properties Window

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There are some ambiguities associated with changing VI Properties in relation to a specific subVI node on a diagram, so the most straightforward way to configure VI properties is from an open VI window. The current workaround is to double-click the subVI and press Ctrl-I. More broadly, we are looking at ways to reorganize the right-click menu of subVIs, in conjunction with augmenting the 'Properties' dialog of a subVI, to improve the experience of configuring subVI nodes.

Currently if you right click on a subVI from the block diagram and choose properties, it brings up the Object Properties dialog.  The only options you can change there are label options, which can easily be changed in the "Visible Items" submenu.  I can't think of one time when this has ever been what I wanted out of this action.  Instead, I think this action should open up the VI Properties Window for the VI.  

properties1.png

7 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

What behavior would you suggest for Polymorphic subVI nodes? Dynamic dispatch subVI nodes?

David_L
Active Participant

Good question.  Perhaps we could provide two different entries similar to the way we do "Create > Property Node" and "Create > Property for xyz class" for .Net and ActiveX references.  

Properties for abc.vi

Properties for abc (DBL).vi

I know I may get a lashing from all those who want to slim down the context menus, so the other option is to just pick one and we'd still be 50% better than the current solution.

dthor
Active Participant

I'd be OK with a popup asking for the instance of the VI you want to configure properties for. The same popup that is currently displayed when opening up a Dynamic Dispatch VI.

I have done this far too many times, and would love this if implemented.

citizenDAK
or, at least, add a "VI Properties..." button to the Object Properties dialog?
David_L
Active Participant

To anyone interested, I created a QuickDrop shortcut that does this with a Ctrl-Space Ctrl-V...

VI Properties Dialog QuickDrop Shortcut

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Best Idea for me is the one from citizenDAK

By the way, "SubVI Node Setup ..." and "Call Setup ..." could be integrated in the Object Properties dialog too, maybe as separated tab pages.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There are some ambiguities associated with changing VI Properties in relation to a specific subVI node on a diagram, so the most straightforward way to configure VI properties is from an open VI window. The current workaround is to double-click the subVI and press Ctrl-I. More broadly, we are looking at ways to reorganize the right-click menu of subVIs, in conjunction with augmenting the 'Properties' dialog of a subVI, to improve the experience of configuring subVI nodes.