LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Refresh LabVIEW Menus Programmatically (without restarting LabVIEW) after installing an add-on

Implemented in LabVIEW 2013 as the "Refresh Menus" method on the Application class in VI Server

[Cross-posted here on the JKI blog]

One LabVIEW feature that (if it existed) would make a big difference for VIPM users is the ability to refresh the menus (e.g., the FileTools, and Help menus) programmatically after installing packages that add menu-launch VIs.  Maybe we could do this if LabVIEW added a new VI server method called Application:Refresh Menus.

Note: this would be similar to how we can refresh the palette menus programmatically by invoking theApplication:Refresh Palettes method (shown below).

refresh-palettes

I bring this up, because one feature that I’d love to see added to VIPM (some day) is an easier way to build menu-launch tools into VI Packages, and I’m sure more people would be asking us why their add-on doesn’t show up in LabVIEW after it’s installed.

Hopefully, we can help NI get this feature onto the LabVIEW roadmap by convincing them that it’s worthwhile.

2 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed
Implemented in LabVIEW 2013 as the "Refresh Menus" method on the Application class in VI Server
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

Thank you, NI LabVIEW team! 🙂