From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Provide LabVIEW-specific Jump List Functionality in Windows 7

One of the cool new features in Windows 7 is the Jump List, which can provide application-specific shortcuts by right-clicking the icon in the taskbar.  Some applications provide basic Jump List functionality.  For example, LabVIEW provides a recent files list, which inherently supports "pinning" items so they appear permanently in the list, like so:

labview_jumplist.png

This is definitely a good start, but check out the jump list for Google Chrome:

chrome_jumplist.png

They provide Jump Lists for most visited sites, recently closed webpages, and creating new Chrome windows.  I think we should figure out some cool LabVIEW-specific stuff to add to LabVIEW's Jump List.  Among the ideas I've had are:

• New VI
  • New Project
  • Bring Project(s) to Front
  • Most Opened VIs (different from Most Recent)
  • Fix the Jump List to show VIs that were opened within LLBs (as opposed to the current behavior of just listing the containing LLBs) 

Obviously we don't want to clutter up the Jump List, so we'd want to make sure whatever we add will be generally useful to all LabVIEW programmers.  List any ideas you have for helpful, commonly-used LabVIEW-specific Jump List tasks in the comments below.
5 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I give this Kudos... a very hesitant Kudos.

I have a feeling that huge portion of LabVIEW customers like me will be developing for, developing on, and supporting legacy systems. Most of my coworkers still use WinXP, and our embedded target is an XPe system.

I use LV2009 and Win7 at home, but I can't forsee our department as a whole appreciating this feature before NIWeek 2011. It's a bummer and a shame, but industrial inertia trumps a sweet IDE.

So, put this one on the backlog.

Tom_Hawkins
Hmmm, that 'Jump List' somehow reminds me of a contextual menu for Dock icons from Mac OS X...
Darren
Proven Zealot

Here's another part to this idea...check out the hover-over behavior of iTunes in Windows 7:

jump_buttons.png

It's got those little back/pause/forward buttons.  I wonder if we could have something similar in LabVIEW, like buttons that switch between VI windows, or maybe buttons that show/hide common floaters, like the Tools palette, Functions palette, Context Help window, Navigation window, etc.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
Sounds like time to tap into the Windows API. I wish I could kudo half now and half after my stubborn self upgrades to 7.
zou
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

11 years later still waiting...

@

Don't Wait for LabVIEW R&D... Implement Your Own LabVIEW Features!

Actually you can do it yourself for this one, really, with dotNET PresentationFramework

I managed to add LabVIEW 2017 as a new task onto LabVIEW 2019 JumpList:

image.png

George Zou