From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Project Based Environment

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi,

there is an idea about making labview.ini and other user configs to the corresponding user folder .

I propose to go a step further and make the LabVIEW environment project based, which means that you can define a labview.ini file, VI templates (including standard VI, if you create a new VI), palettes, QuickDrop stuff, etc. inside a project.

E.g. templates are saved in a custom location and linked inside the project. If you do this and start the "New..." dialog, than all your templates inside the project are listed first (below project).

If you do not use this feature in your project, the default files are used (default meaning the way LabVIEW works now).

Regards,

Marc

CLD
2 Comments
minnellac
Active Participant

I would find this very helpful. I use subversion for version control, and I use the externals property to link "Common VIs" (i.e., reuse code) to each of my projects. The externals property allows me to lock the reuse code to a specific revision while the rest of the project gets updates routinely. This workflow doesn't allow me to put the reuse code in my palettes (because then I would be stuck with one revision for all projects). A Project Based Environment would solve this problem.

Chris

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.