From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

Pressing Undo after dropping a Structure places Structure back on Cursor

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I think it would be really cool if LabVIEW placed a Structure back on the Cursor if you press Undo after dropping it.

This would save a lot of time going back into the Palettes

For example:

Undo Cursor

Yes - using Quick Drop shortcuts would be a faster way than the palettes, but old habits...

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
9 Comments
donkdonk

Hitting undo does not necessarily mean I want to relocate the same structure.

I might want to replace it by something (entirely) different.

Personally I do not run into the described situation very often; I see no reason to put the same structure on cursor as default behaviour.

jgcode
Active Participant

The described situation is just an examplem but thats cool if you don't use it often.

As it stands now you could always right click or hit escape to remove the object it from the cursor.

Cheers

-JG

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't think the suggested behavior is intuative.  I think undo should undo the action (and therefore the selection of the component to perform the action).  For example, if I grabbed the LTEQ primative, dropped it, then realised I wanted the GTEQ instead, I don't think undo should pop the LTEQ back on the cursor.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
Instead of starting over, I have always wished there was a way to stretch a structure to enclose more code, or remove code from one side or the other.
jgcode
Active Participant

Maybe the idea should have been to put the last used object quickly back on the cursor (but not as default behaviour)??

jgcode
Active Participant

@Darin - I think I have seen this idea (by someone at NI?) I will have a search

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Maybe the idea should have been to put the last used object quickly back on the cursor (but not as default behaviour)??

Some alternate form of undo, like ctrl+alt+z?

jgcode
Active Participant

> Some alternate form of undo, like ctrl+alt+z?

I like the sound of that

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.