LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
komorbela

Palette submenu for the actual project elements.

While developing, especially while using the Object Oriented design, I regularly need the VIs I just created in my project, just like the Created and Destroy, and usually all the SubVIs.

Why not to have an automatic Item in the palette, that has all the VIs in the currently open Project, and reflects the structure in the project (not the structure in the file system, because we don't always structure our project well in file system)?

It could be very useful, for example when having 10-20 VIs open, to not have to search for the Project window to use the project Items.

Even more useful, when want to Replace an VI. Right now I have to choose "Select a VI..." from the palette, and navigate to my VIs in the folder structure.

(the controls, type defs of the project could appear in the Controls palette in the Front Panel view)

Project VIs andCtls on palette.png

5 Comments
yenknip
Active Participant

I do like this idea, but the palette set would take a couple of frustrating seconds to recompile itself everytime something changes

I'm also going to plug a related idea of opening quick drop, with its scope set to the project

>> Even more useful, when want to Replace an VI. Right now I have to choose "Select a VI..." from the palette, and navigate to my VIs in the folder structure.

Here's another somewhat related idea that tries to solve exactly this problem.

Marc_A
Active Participant

I came here today to look for something almost exactly like this, so I won't make a new idea.

What I want is to be able to right click on a class member VI and have an entry in the context menu that shows me the other member VIs in the class. It would work the same way as right clicking on an addition node gives you the ability to see the numeric palette directly. With a large project containing many classes, this could save a lot of time.

komorbela

to altenbach:

I like your idea also, that would be helpful in many cases. However I still like my idea more 🙂 because in this case th VIs would have the same groupping as those have in the project. So if you have hundreds of VIs in your project, you probably already have organized those in virtual folder structures, or so. So the level of organisation that makes you comfortable in your project will be reflected in the palette.

By the way the VIs in memory, sorted as the last used being on the top could sometimes be even faster help in development. So I would like to see this and the project elements also in the right-click menu.

10Things_Rob

I just learned at the CLA Summit that one cool feature of the Quick Drop is that it includes VIs from your open project.

Now if I can just convince myself to actually USE Quick Drop...