LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FabiolaDelaCueva

Obtain the IP address from the Application Reference

I would like to be able to obtain the IP Address of an application instance.

AppRef-returnIPaddress.PNG

Here is one scenario:

Plug in architecture.

Host machine loads plugin VIs that monitor several targets via VI Server.

The main VI opens the connection to one of the targets' application and sends the application reference to the plugin so this VI knows what target is communicating with.  

It would be nice to be able to obtain the IP address from the Application Reference via a VI or a property node. 

Now, I know I could be sending the IP Address instead of the application reference, but if I know I am going to be calling several VIs in the same target, why do I need to open an application reference for each VI, when all could share the same application reference.

Another scnerario for this was posted here: http://lavag.org/topic/6861-address-of-an-application-instance/

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
1 Comment
jlokanis
Active Participant

Not sure if this helps you but there is a way to get an application to tell you it's IP address:

Get IP Address.png

-John

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect