LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tst

Numeric control limits should default to "Coerce".

Today, when you change a numeric control not to use the default limits, it allows you to enter your new limits, but it doesn't actually respect them unless you change the response control on the right side, which can be easy to forget.

I propose that the default value of the controls should be "Coerce", not "Ignore":

Default to Coerce.png

This makes sense, because if the user unchecked the check box, they probably want the limits to coerce and in case they don't, the limits already default to the maximum range of the data type, so they can't be coerced unless the user changes the limit value anyway.

I would also suggest considering that if the Response control is set to Ignore, the value should be disabled and greyed, to inform the user that changing it won't actually do anything. I would suggest getting rid of the Response control entirely, but it can be relevant if you only want to change some of the limits.

I would also consider changing the coercion of the Increment to Nearest by default, since it's probably the most common option, but that could be debated.

Knight of NI

I always wondered why "ignore" is the default option, I always set it to coerce of I define non-default bounds.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I think the use case for Ignore was predominantly for Slides where the UI only allows so much but the digitial display allowed for a much larger value. I might suggest that slides/gauges would want to continue to use Ignore, but the default for the Numeric Text Box perhaps should change to Coerce.

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Same for me. I always change them to "Coerce".

Very good suggestion !

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> I think the use case for Ignore was predominantly for Slides where the UI only allows so much but the digitial display allowed for a much larger value.

I was about to say that this is actually a rare use case and that it's often annoying that the digital display has a different behavior to the slide, but I just looked and it looks like you can't actually do this. This slide has a digital display, but it doesn't seem to have separate limit properties, which I personally think makes sense:

Slide.png

It appears to be the same for knobs, dials and gauges. Even if it was possible to have it separate, I would still argue that the default for all should be to coerce.

Tst: Ok. I have no sense for how commonly people use that feature. You tell me it's rare, that's my only data point thus far. 🙂

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Actually, my understanding is that the data point is that it's rare to the degree of 0% - as far as I can tell from what I showed above, there is no way to give the digital display a different limit from the slide.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and what you meant was that people use the slide to enter values in a small range and use the display to enter values outside that range. If that's the case, I would still argue that it's probably rare, but even if it isn't, it's handled by the scale's min and max values, not by the limit.

Trusted Enthusiast

The default values are with the control.

The property VIs doesn't NOT have a default value for a control.

Another words, if you set the value to coerce, next time you try to set the value, you will see it's "default" to coerce.

So a work around is create your own typedef, and set it to coerce.

George Zou