LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anthony_L

Need a Way to Exit LabVIEW Code if a MODAL Window is Accidentally Open(ed)

If code is running and one happens to leave a modal VI open, or opens a modal VI in the middle of a running piece of code, then the LabVIEW environment freezes-up and dis-allows any interaction with the code. It will be great to have a set of Key Strokes to re-set the code if this happens. The only way that I know of now is to hit [ALT + CTL + DEL] and killing the LabVIEW process. This ends up loosing unsaved work and requires a restart of LabVIEW.

Regards

Anthony L.

6 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

This is directly related to this idea. See the discussion for a solution.

(I would file this idea as duplicate)

Matthias_H

If the window is an error dialog or something like that, you can try to press "Ctrl + . " (abort VI) and then press "return".

Maybe you have to repeat this.

In many cases the dialog will close and the Shortcut will then be sent to LabVIEW.

But this is only a workaround.

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

I don't think it's a duplicate. It may be a pared down, more specific version of that other idea.

Richard

Anthony_L

Hi:

I appreciate the comments and suggested work-arounds. Ideally I think the LabVIEW environment itself should provide developers with full control during design and development, or debug run-time, to recover from such a situation --whose cause is fully known. The frustration that this modal window issue causes is unecessary.

Anthony L.

M_Peeker

Darren posted a work-around once that is pretty neat.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Darren-s-Occasional-Nugget-08-11-2008/m-p/760429

The code is p/w-protected for some reason, maybe it has something to do with scripting or private properties that wasn't available to the public in 2008.

The problem with modal windows are that they are... modal. And should be, even in the development environment. Darrens solution is to open something "even more" modal that can stop the now slightly less modal window.

//Martin

Edit: Sorry Altenbach, realised that i duplicated your comment.

CLA
www.dvel.se
inversion

I feel for you all in this situation! Just happend to me again.

this post is also related:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Abort-all-VIs-Button-in-Taskbar-Modal-Windows-Problem/...

:. LV2010 SP1 ... W7 .: