LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChandler

Multiple Control Property Editor

It would be useful if a tool were distributed with LabVIEW that would show all controls for a selected vi in a table along with their properties. The properties can be edited in the table.

I already have built a tool that lets me open a vi and view and edit the Tip-Strip, Caption and Description properties. But it is lacking. It would be nice if it could view/set other properties such as default values, fonts, colors, numeric representation, etc.

Of course this would require somehow grouping controls by class since for example strings do not have a numeric representation.

Other features could be the ability to filter or search the properties, and to highlight the control on the front panel when the property row is double clicked.

Attached is a screenshot of the simple tool I built to give you an idea what it looks like.

Capture.PNG

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

3 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

No a bad idea at all. It would make adding tip strips and help much quicker.

Another thing to add to the table could be "Default Value."

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Not only does it make it easier but it lets you see at a glance which ones do not yet have tip strips or documentation yet.

One thing that would be REALLY useful is the ability to toggle the hidden property! I was dealing with a vi once that had a hidden string control with a very large default value. It was no longer used for anything and it was doing nothing but making the vi too big. I only accidentally found it.

A tool such as this would have made that hidden control stand out.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello,

Something like a DotNet property grid will be nice.

propertyGrid.PNG

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Property-grid-to-view-edit-clusters-in-a-treeView/idi-...

Manu.net

Manu.net