LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daklu

Move Inheritance Tree to a new Project Explorer tab

The Project Explorer window is the central location for managing a project.  Currently we have two views/tabs:  Items shows us a logical view of the project and Files shows us an on-disk view of the project.  I propose adding another view/tab--Class.

This view duplicates the functionality current provided by the class property inheritance tab, except it offers a view of the entire project and allows changing inheritance without having to go through the class property dialog.

I know there is another idea that allows changing inheritance in the class hierarchy window.  Making this functionality part of the project explorer instead of a separate window makes more sense to me and seems like it would be easier to implement.

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Just to clarify - this will be a tree which will show all classes in the project (including the ones in the dependencies section) and will allow you to drag them into each other to play with the inheritance, right?

This certainly sounds like it would make life easier for us, so I'm voting for it, but I'm not at all sure this would be easier for NI to implement. In fact, I would expect that it would be harder.

Yes, it would show all classes in the project with some way to easily change inheritance.  It doesn't have to be drag-and-drop (and unless the sticky mouse bug gets fixed I'd prefer it wasn't drag and drop) but I'm open to whatever mechanism makes it easier to change the class hierarchy.

It may not be easier than altering the graphical class hierarchy window.  It just seems like it would be easier because it more closely matches the functionality that is already present and doesn't require turning the class hierarchy window from a viewer into an editor.  *shrug*

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Ah, yes. I was comparing to the current class hierarchy setting dialog, not the class hierarchy dialog.