LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
F._Schubert

Make inheritance graphically setable

LabVIEW has a success story due to it's ability to program graphically. But the new LVOOP features still lacks the graphical touch. On the other hand, the text based SW is catching up with graphical modelling concepts as uml.

So instead of a simple config editor to set the inheritance, I request to have this completly graphical.

It's THE main feature of LabVIEW to do things graphically, so why fall behind this standard? No, not this tree control, but draw a wire to the parent, uml is already showing the way.

6 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Felix: check it out. (And check out the kitty who voted on 8/22 😉 )

F._Schubert
Active Participant

Thanks, I'll ask this to be removed as duplicate. Propably it was a bit late last night (I was at least too lazy to use the search operation).

Felix

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A good idea for future LV versions. But help for this does exist today:

Symbio makes an excellent UML tool, capable of scripting new LV code into existence from a UML diagram, generating a UML diagram from code, and adjusting existing LV code by editing the associated UML diagram. They created this tool in partnership with us, and they continue to maintain it for every release of LabVIEW. At this time NI encourages users who want that functionality to investigate that tool. Visit http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209038 for more details.

F._Schubert
Active Participant

AQ, I'm not asking for an native uml support by LabVIEW. I'm using the features of uml as an argument as well as an inspiration for developing ideas to make LabVIEW better. Both are tools to design systems graphical (on different layers of abstraction). I'm trying to do translation work to see which features/concepts/user experience would be nice to have in LabVIEW.

I've several other ideas I'll post as time permits, as 2011 isn't going to consider implementing these, I don't feel to much preassure.

Felix

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

F. Schubert wrote:

> I'm not asking for an native uml support by LabVIEW

I know that's not asked for in this idea. But once we start talking about graphically changing inheritance, it's usually a pretty short time before the conversation widens all the way out to "why can't we generally graphically edit all aspects of our classes?" I just figured I'd head that rhinocerous off early. 🙂

Laura F.
Active Participant
Status changed to: Duplicate