LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
AVED

Layers

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Is it possible to have layers on block diagram for labview (similar to something like in Diadem). That would enable easy identification of connections and debugging.

10 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Is this a question or an idea?

AVED

Its an idea phrased as an question. Sorry for that . I didnt know if this feature was already addressed or not (Hence it was posted as an question) . Well let me state it differently : layers for block diragram would help the programmers code and debug in labview. Similar feature has been offered in Diadem.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

How would that work?

AVED

We can have tabs on top which allow each level of connection chain to be highlighted. We have a similar feature in Diadem. Or we right click on a task to highlight all its dependencies/connections.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Sorry, I can't picture how that would work. That may just be me, since I am not using Diadem, but I suspect you are not helping yourself by not fully detailing what you have in mind...with pictures for instance.

Mads
Active Participant

I think layers could easily get confusing, but one way it could be used would be to put different parts of parallell code on separate layers.

Let's say that a VI contains 3 parallell loops. One is handling the GUI, one does data aquisition and one runs data analysis. You can make all of these SubVIs instead, but then you will not be able to view each of them in combination, you will not be able to use locals etc...but putting them on separate layers will mean that you can choose to hide all but one of the layers temporarily e.g. to reduce the visual distraction.

This could also be used to change how debugging works. If for example you choose to highlight execution, then this could be set to only affect the visual layers...making the other parts of the code run at normal speed. I'm sure one could come up with a longer list of uses for layers....But again, mit might cost too much in added complexity.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

You mean like Tabs but on the block diagram (not sure that's what the OP means in the second post)? It kinds of defeat the whole purpose of graphical code fitting on one screen (or less) though...

Not that it is a panacea, but it has its merits.

I don't buy the advantage for debugging, as it will result in race conditions that won't be necessarily reproducible in real time (especially if this is limited to unwired code, i.e parallel loops). The current system has its limitations, but there are ways to improve it (check suggestions on debugging) without allowing obscure diagrams.

My point is that when you come up with a potentially disruptive suggestion (I say that in a positive sense), you better illustrate it well and showcase its advantages. Not that it will help convincing NI (they have their own  agenda and constraints), but it might suggest new ways of thinking for others. I may check out Diadem, but there must be a way to illustrate the concept with more than a sentence!

Mads
Active Participant

Layers are transparent so it would not be like tabs. And no, it would not defeat the purpose of fitting code on a screen either as it would simply allow you to hide parts of the 1-screen code while you are working on another part, to reduce the visual disturbance.

As for race conditions that's an invalid point to bring up in the context of execution highlighting as such debugging will produce invalid/unrealistic timing anyway. In fact what I describe would allow you to run big parts of your code as normal while debugging other parts, so as long as they are separated in logic this will actually increase the realism, not reduce it.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Pictures! I have tried avoiding asking for the obvious, but as a G programmer I am of the opinion that a picture is worth a 1000 words... Again, it sounds interesting, but I can't be sure I understand what you guys are talking about, since I am not using Diadem.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.