LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJM_Labview

Improve text editing in the VI Properties Documentation Window.

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

The VI documentation window could use some improvement and several additions could be made to make editing the text a lot easier.

6-4-2010 2-31-40 PM.png

Improving adding control and indicator name.

Typically the text in the documentation window does refer to the control and indicator connected to the connetor pane.

It would be very convenient to have this information already in that window so we don't have look it up when needed. Additionally, the control and indicators are typically bolded in the resulting text using the <b></b> tag. It would be convenient if this would be done automatically for us.

In the propose idea (see image below) the VI icon with the controls and indicators is shown and the controls and indicators when clicked do insert their name into the VI description. 

Note: The control name may be made to look like an hyperlink to indicate that there are click able.

For example, in the image below, clicking the "Items to filter" will insert the "<b>Items to filter</b> tagged text in the VI description.

6-4-2010 2-16-46 PM.png

Improve general text editing

While fancy text editing is limited in the VI description, adding a toolbar to improve text formatting would be useful.

6-4-2010 2-31-40 PM.png

vipm.io | jki.net

9 Comments
jmorris
Active Participant

Good idea!  Improving and simplifying documentation is always a good idea, to encourage people to actually create it.  Nice pictures! 

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Another idea, allow for anchors.

For isntance #ArrayIn.Caption#, this would insert the curren Caption for the 'ArrayIn' control. This way it's possible to change the caption  and keep the documentation up to date.

Looking at your screenshots, it seems like you have code avialable?

Why not sharing?

(Top idea though)

Message Edited by TCPlomp on 06-06-2010 08:45 PM
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Great idea ! The VI description zone should be much bigger to reduce the need to scroll up and down.

jandrengen

Very useful.

As jmorris says, it is always a good idea to make it as easy as possible to document your code.

I also agree with TCPlomp, that it would also be very nice to automatizally keep the documentation synchronized with the actual parameter names.

PJM_Labview
Active Participant

> Looking at your screenshots, it seems like you have code avialable?  Why not sharing?

No, I don't have any code available. The screenshots are just from a mock up I made for the occasion.

> I also agree with TCPlomp, that it would also be very nice to automatizally keep the documentation synchronized with the actual parameter names.

That though did also occurred to me, but I am not entirely sure I would like to have that on all the time (although I suspect the benefit would probably outweigh the inconvenient).

vipm.io | jki.net

JeffreyH

Kudos!

I actually coded up something similar last year to be able to easier update all descriptions for a project I inherited.

I'll see if I can dig up the code and share it until this implemented natively.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. The 'VI description' section of the Configuration Pane includes standard text editing tools.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: New

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D