NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
jgcode

Icon Editor API

by Active Participant jgcode on ‎06-03-2010 09:06 AM

A native Icon Editor API seems a natural evolution for interacting with the new icon layers that appeared in LabVIEW 2009.

The current API is the only way (I know of) to interact programmatically with the Icon Layers.

This is a very handy API that should be polished up and included with LabVIEW. 

You can download the current version here:http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-8647 

Available in LabVIEW 2012
Comments
by Active Participant jgcode on ‎06-03-2010 09:12 AM

Some of my feedback and ideas for a public Icon Editor API: http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/7502

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-03-2010 09:24 AM

In the past six months, that API has been downloaded 5 times. I would hestitate to vote for putting R&D resources on a project without general mass appeal nor apparent commercial benefit. Are there benefits to being able to interact with the VI icon programmatically (assuming I'm not cranking out dozens of new VI's a day, warranting some type of automated icon builder)?

Just playing devil's advocate, giving you an opportunity to sharpen some salesman pitch skills.

by Active Participant ThSa on ‎06-03-2010 09:27 AM

In the past six months, that API has been downloaded 5 times

Actually, that is not true. I have updated the ZIP file multiple times and whenever a new file is uploaded, the counter is reset.

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-03-2010 09:33 AM

I stand corrected.

Actually, for that counter to be reset is a bad deal. When I'm looking at utilities to download, oftentimes I base judgement on simply how often it has been downloaded. Very Generally Speaking... few downloads equals untested and unpopular, many downloads equals tried and true and popular. Would it be possible to have a cumulative download counter, or leave past revisions with their download count as part of the page?

by Active Participant jgcode on ‎06-04-2010 02:17 AM

Hi JackDunaway

Yes, resetting the download counters is not the best idea and given that the code was just updated the other day it does skew the data. Therefore, I have been speaking with NI directly to find out the actual times this API has been download and it turns out it is a whopping 1438 times! I think you have been left behind due to your gross generalisations. After all, Eric Bogosian did say in Under Siege 2 that assumptions are the mother of all mess-ups! I recommend downloading it now! 

Kind regards 

-JG 

by Active Participant G-Money on ‎03-06-2012 05:00 PM
Status changed to: In Beta

by Active Participant G-Money on ‎02-01-2013 09:53 AM
Status changed to: Completed
Available in LabVIEW 2012
Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count