LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terry_ALE

Glyphs on Controls and Indicators if used on connector pane

The longer you use LabVIEW the more accepting you become with the way it is and I don't think I could have come up with this one my own.  A new LabVIEW user suggested this idea to me.

When the VI is in edit mode show a glyph over the controls and indicators that assigned to a terminal on the connector pane.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
7 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI
...and hovering over the glyph should flash the associated terminal.
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Good ideas! Kudos++

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I guess because if this is a UI VI with tons of controls/indicators, none will be connected.

If this is a subVI, it should have a minimal amount of controls/indicators layed out in a way reminiscent of the connector pane... which is accessible pretty much all the time now...and holy cow! You cannot "Find Control/Indicator" from the connector pane!!!

It is only highlighted, which is useless if the visible part of the FP is not where the object is.

THAT is something missing (and as the OP said) which I never noticed before, and could be useful if your controls/indicators were randomly spread out on the FP (as after a new "Create VI" action).

So Kudo BUT ADD A RECIPROCAL OPTION TO FIND A CONTROL/INDICATOR FROM THE CONNECTOR PANE.

littlesphaeroid
Active Participant

brilliant, bravo/a!

I like it, I would expand it to BD terminals Especially, if viewed as icon.  The "Is on Connector Pane?" property already exists so, a glyph could be fairly easilly implemented (I Guess?) I doubt NI R&D would need to do the development.

I'm betting a "Tool >>Show Objects on Connector Pane" would be pretty easy for those Open-G types experienced in tool development.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> if your controls/indicators were randomly spread out on the FP (as after a new "Create VI" action).

Upgrade to 2012 or later. Upgrading won't fix any of the rest of this idea, but when you create a VI, the controls are no longer scattered randomly. Just thought I'd mention that. 😉

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Try that:

Scatter Controls.png

Maybe not randomly, but still spread out over a lot of real estate, which would require the feature I mention (I am using Silver as default style for new controls).