LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guruthilak

Getting rid of the RTE (Run time Engine)

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.

OK... i have been using LabVIEW from 2003 (i guess) and i started using 6i or a version less than that.

Ever since i see that the size of the installer is getting bigger and bigger due to RTE and now it takes aroud ~100MB. I suggest to get rid of this so that i can straight away run the executable in any PC/MAC without ever requiring to install the RTE. (may be even replacing the RTE with a .NET or other technology which gets installed automatically when windows OS is installed)

Guru

Regards
Guru (CLA)
3 Comments
kegghead

I don't think you can "get rid of" the RTE. Every language has an engine or set of libraries which are required at run time, even C or C++. Chances are though you never need to install the common ones because something else already has (if not your OS).

Or are you suggesting the ability to statically link the required components of the RTE directly into your compiled executable? That's something I'd surely like to have as an option. Just keep in mind that means your executable goes up in size...

Snamprogetti
Active Participant

Getting rid of it is science fiction... But maybe they could provide a version that does not require installation: you just copy the required files to a visible path, just like DLLs. End users often don't have administrative privileges, especially in networks

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.