NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
JKSH

Expand (or allow expansion of) NI software installer GUI

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎02-12-2013 08:52 PM

The list of available LabVIEW modules and device drivers is very long. Their names tend to be long too, which is compounded by the many levels of nesting. Modern screens are large.

Given all that, why are we selecting software components by scrolling around a tiny window which can't be expanded?

tinyinstaller.png

(Note: most of the trees above aren't exen opened yet!)

Proposal: Make the window bigger (vertically and horizontally), or resizeable, or both.

Thanks for listening!

Comments
by Member heel ‎02-13-2013 09:18 AM - edited ‎02-13-2013 09:19 AM

Agreed this is very annoying. See this as well..

remov LV layout.png

In general - too many of the system dialog boxes are not designed with usabilty in mind. Another example is reported in this idea excange.

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎02-18-2013 08:20 PM

And this:

NIDevSuite2012.png

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎02-28-2013 02:27 AM

This isn't software installer GUI, but has the same issue (perhaps I should change the title of this idea?)

ethercat.png

by Active Participant X. ‎03-05-2013 03:45 PM - edited ‎03-05-2013 03:46 PM
by Active Participant joaopam on ‎03-21-2013 12:14 PM

Yes! This idea is awesome. It's necessary!

I freak out everytime I have to use the horizontal scroll bar in tiny spaces.

Thank you for proposing this.

by Active Participant joaopam on ‎03-21-2013 12:15 PM

Yes! This idea is awesome. It's necessary!

I freak out everytime I have to use the horizontal scroll bar in tiny spaces.

Thank you for proposing this.

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎03-25-2013 09:55 PM
by Active Participant JKSH on ‎04-25-2013 10:58 PM
by Member LeifS on ‎05-24-2013 02:45 AM

I agree and it should, as mentioned above, be applied to A LOT of dialogs in the IDE!

Resizeable is the way to go, let the user decide.

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎05-28-2013 02:16 AM

Thank you everyone who've voiced your support so far! If you have any screenshots of excessively cramped dialogs, feel free to post them here.

I think the title of this idea should be changed... its scope has grown heaps :smileyvery-happy:

Anyway, here's another:

module_cfg.png

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors