NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
LabBEAN

Edit >> Create SubVI: Tweaks

by Active Participant LabBEAN on ‎07-03-2009 12:47 PM

Edit >> Create SubVI:  I almost never use this function... but it could be so nice!

Imagine being able to develop code on some diagram, check functionality in line, and quickly generate a subVI.  We're so close with "Create SubVI", but in 7+ years, I've never really used it.

Suggested Tweaks:

1) Use default connector pane (12 terminals)
2) If there are error clusters, wire them to the bottom terminals.
3) If there are error clusters, auto create a case structure and put the code in the No Error case.  Wire the error cluster through the Error case.
4) If there are in and out references (e.g. File In, File Out), wire these to the top terminals.
5) Run Clean Up Diagram.

Functionality available in LabVIEW 2011.
Comments
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 01:25 PM

I agree with them all except nr. 5.

I would, however, shift the contents of the block diagram (without re-organising the individual elements relative to each other) so that the indocators and controls wired up are not miles away from the entity they are wired to.....

by Active Participant LabBEAN on ‎07-03-2009 01:38 PM
Point taken... Just trying to present the idea to NI R&D as "quick tweaks", but your comment is noteworthy.
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 01:46 PM

It's just that the diagram clean-up doesn't have much of a sence of aesthetics.  It's a pure efficiency beast!

Even the code I create a Sub-VI out of inthis regard is more or less organised as I want it.....  It's still a good idea though.  You have my kudos.

by Active Participant LabBEAN on ‎07-03-2009 02:42 PM

Just checked Create SubVI (again, don't really use it), and it does retain the diagram structure when it creates the VI, so maybe we don't need the Clean Up Diagram step to sell NI R&D on this as an "easy addition" to the IDE...

Thanks Intaris...

So, dropping #5 means there only 4 quick tweaks stopping us from enjoying Create SubVI.  Now, if only there were a way to change the default icon it uses... *wink*

by Active Participant Mads ‎07-03-2009 04:46 PM - edited ‎07-03-2009 04:53 PM

1-4 - definitely - good ideas!

I'm amazed that you do not use it though, it is already a very nice and fundamental function, even though it does always leave you with some cleaning up to do....

Message Edited by Mads on 07-03-2009 04:46 PM
Message Edited by Mads on 07-03-2009 04:53 PM
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 05:20 PM
Some cleaning up, yes.  But it's still a LOT quicker than re-writing from scratch.....
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 06:23 PM

All Kudos should be given to tst here. This post is a perfect duplicate of his idea a month ago.

Be careful to search the board before posting your ideas, and only post a new idea if it differs significantly enough to warrant more than a comment on the original post.

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 06:30 PM
Let's hope NI are clever enough to sort that out.
by Active Participant LabBEAN ‎07-03-2009 08:11 PM - edited ‎07-03-2009 08:19 PM

I was used to searching the forums where you get page # info and didn't catch the "Next" link at the bottom.  So, I thought I had read all the ideas.  Didn't know about the exchange or I would have made the suggestion sooner, like I did on March 5 :smileywink:

http://labviewartisan.blogspot.com/2009/03/bulk-creation-of-controls-and.html#comments

Lastly, while I've given "tst" Kudos, this isn't a "perfect duplicate".  (See item #3.)

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 07-03-2009 09:19 PM
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎07-03-2009 10:19 PM

Didn't mean to come across rudely - I will be the first to admit that this message board "powered by lithium" has a non-intuitive interface when it comes to navigating from page to page!

LabBEAN, you have been giving plenty of good ideas, and I see that you are actively participating on this entire board. I feel more harshness to the type who doesn't even search before posting.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count