LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Customize Properties and Methods Menu for XControls

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.

XControls inherit from ancestor object types (Control and GObject, namely) properties and methods that I would like to hide from the public API shown on the "Create..." context menu. Why do I want to hide these methods? Those properties or methods have the possibility of placing the XControl in an undesirable state, or possibly I have created "Override" implementations as a User-Defined property or method ("override" may not be a technically correct term here, but it conveys my intention).

I envision a tree control on the XControl Properties dialogue that contains a hierarchy of inherited properties/methods. Each entry would have a checkbox which controls whether the property/method appears on the API context menu. If, for some reason, there are some properties that should not allowed to be hidden (as determined by R&D), a disabled-and-greyed checked box would be appropriate.

(I don't expect these properties to be disabled - if you were to upcast the XControl ref to Control, you would see all the default properties/methods again, and they would perform their default action. This action may be discouraged by the XControl designer, but still permissible by LabVIEW.)

XControlMethodsAndProperties.png

2 Comments
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

Sort of a corollary to this idea:

XControls - Inherit the properties/methods of a base control

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.