LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenB

Combine the event structure and the timed loop

Declined for reasons listed in the discussion thread.

From the developers perspective... events are interrupts and timing sources are interrupts. Do we need two separate way to pragmatically creating these (event registration refnum and timing source string) and reacting to these (structures)?

I realize there are features one has and the other one doesn't... but there is so much overlap and so much potential if combined.

Stephen B
4 Comments
Craig_S.

I'm afraid this is probably a non-starter.  

The TImed Loop is designed to optimize real time performance, while the Event structure is designed primarily to deal with distinctly non-real time UI events.   The internal design of both the Timed Loop and the Event structure is complex, and trying to integrate the two would require a total redesign of both features.  Further, I think trying to cram the complexity of both features into one would result in a very complicated paradigm that would ultimately be more confusing for users, not less.

Craig Smith

LabVIEW R&D

GregR
Active Participant

The views expressed in the previous post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of all members of LabVIEW R&D. Don't let it discourage you from voting for the idea if you think the user paradigm fits. If we can't figure out how to implement it, then we won't. That is separate from whether you think the abstraction works for the user.

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

I like it and it sounds good. But then again I have never done anything with a timed structure. It is one of those things on my list of things to learn. But could a real time event (interrupt) be added to the existing event structure? I know this is not exactally what you are talking about but it is sort of related.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Declined for reasons listed in the discussion thread.