LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Allow the Distribute Tool to work on Wires

Available in LabVIEW 2011

Currently, the block diagram has an endlessly useful feature. I use it every day - the Distribute Tool.

FrontPanelSpacingTool.png 

The following feature would be AWESOME for expediting BD readability:

BlockDiagramSpacingTool.png

9 Comments
Ray.R
Knight of NI

That feature would be great.  I'd certainly use it.

R

altenbach
Knight of NI

I can see this creating a serious mess when aligning objects on the block diagram. In most cases, there are little stubs of wires selected in addition to the objects I want to align and I certainly don't want to include these in the alignment operation.

I have no objections for it to work with wires, but it should ONLY work that way if nothing else but parallel wire segments are selected and nothing else.

It is also not clear what should happen if multiple segments of the same wire are selected. It would be difficult to come up with setting priorities. It probably would need to be a weird mix of alignement and wire cleanup operations.

InternationAL
This is a heck of an idea.  Also, it would be nice to have a "dead center of connector" option.  If I click on "dead center of connector", it would pipe the wires into the center of the connector.  This would align the wires somewhat, as well.  Great idea.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
If you like this Idea, then you are going to want an easier way to select multiple wires at once!
wd8ivl
To take this a step further, I would like to have the option to be able to place wires only on the grid, and have them locked in place there. I'd also like to be able to "snap" a vi's connection point to that grid so that the wires allign to the connection points.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Just discovered a trick that's been floating around awhile for distributing wires. Also, there's the first illustration on Wire Anchor Point / Wire Bends. Just sharing two workarounds.
THailey3
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta
Available in NI LabVIEW 2011 Beta
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)