LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crelf

Allow copying of FP and BD elements from locked VIs

As mentioned by Daklu over here, we have to change a VI to edit mode to be able to copy items from its front panel or block diagram - we don't actually want to edit it.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
4 Comments
lvABC

I like the your suggestion.
I would also like the ability to Drag and Drop the Locked VI icon to other VI's block diagram for code placement.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

So what you're really asking for (with this and the other ideas) is a redefinition of "lock this VI." Lock is currently equivalent to "keep in run mode and only allow operations that would be allowed if the VI were running." So selection is ruled out because selection would actually be in the way while the VI is running. Would you want two different modes for "Run Mode" vs "Locked Edit Mode"? Or would you just want LV to allow selection when in Run Mode but not actually running? What does this do to the autotool, which currently behaves on the panel the way it would if the VI were actually running?

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

@Aristos Queue wrote:

...would you just want LV to allow selection when in Run Mode but not actually running?.

Yes.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Daklu
Active Participant

> Would you want two different modes for "Run Mode" vs "Locked Edit Mode"?

Personally I would perfer this option.  A Run Mode as currently exists and a Read Only Mode that prevents changes that would require resaving the source code.  Perhaps a better way to explain it is to change the option "Treat read-only VI's as locked" to "Prevent read-only VIs from being edited."