From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathand

Allow a terminal on a block diagram to be copied to a front panel of another VI

I'd like to be able to select a terminal on a block diagram and then paste it into the front panel of a different VI.  It works for constants on the block diagram, and for copying front panel controls/indicators between front panels; why not on the block diagram as well?
4 Comments
Vsh
Active Participant
Active Participant

Yeah this is a good idea.

I always liked to change the subVI's input terminals copying from caller VIs block diagram terminals. This occurs when we change the caller VIs controls/indicator's datatype, and same need to be changed in subVIs terminal or front panel too. 

The current method is either to go to the front panel of caller VI, copy and replace in subVI's front panel. or paste the new terminal in subVIs block diagram and connect the new control to subVI's connector pane. This is a little long procedure I guess? 

Message Edited by Vsh on 11-07-2009 07:52 AM
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
In theory I like this idea, but here's where it breaks down: you have to go on an easter egg hunt on your FP for the newly placed FP object. I would rather cleanly place the FP object, then get to go on a BD easter egg hunt.
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I posted a slightly different version of this suggestion here (extending it to variables).

I think fishing for a terminal on a BD has much less impact than having to reset a FP boundaries due to a Control being dropped outside the visible area of a FP.

Darren
Proven Zealot