From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_Dennie

Allow Strict Type Def of Type Def

I often would like to define a Type Def, then define multiple Strict Type Defs (i.e., multiple views) based on the one (not strict) Type Def.

Type Definitions can only include other type definitions if the sub is put into a container, such as a cluster.

5 Comments
Gleichman
I like this idea. I have type defs that I've split because I want one look for UI FPs and another for SubVI FPs. The trick would be handling changes to the parent TypeDef.
Nicholsj
This is what I'm looking for now.  I want to make two unique graphic views depending on whether it's selected as a Control or Indicator on the front panel.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
This looks similar to this idea.

Active Participant

Linking typedefs would also fulfill this idea.

What is the reason that a typedef not allowed to only contain an other typedef?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> What is the reason that a typedef not allowed to only contain an other typedef?

Pretty much the only answer is, "Because it would require effort to make that work, and that effort wasn't seen as worth it at the time typedefs were created." There are some odd corner cases that would have to be defined, there would need to be some magic put in place to make sure scripting continues to be well behaved. I actually looked at making this change a few years ago and estimated that the work involved would be significant. Doesn't mean it isn't worth doing, just means that more kudos would be needed to make it a priority.