LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Output Tunnel of Case Structure to Use Previous Value if Unwired (Latch)

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I could create cleaner diagrams faster if I had an option on the output tunnel of a case structure to use previous value.

LatchCaseTunnel.png

8 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I think Altenbach's idea A better way to define the output of unwired output tunnels would be more useful.

Or at least your idea could be incorporated into that.

altenbach
Knight of NI

I actually like the simplicity of it. Could be useful, but might obfuscate code to some degree.

We would also need a way to define the initial value if the code executes an unwired case on the first call. This could be most easily done if we also had my idea that Ravens mentioned above. 😉

Jarrod_S.
Active Participant

I'm not a fan of this, personally. It seems like it would definitely obfuscate code. And one big struggle that new LV users have is how to make sense of what happens with the outputs from a case structure when another case executes. Another option might just confuse them more.

You can solve your particular use case involving the Feedback Node by using the Enable Terminal. That determines whether or not to actually store the new value into the node.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Jarrod_S.
Active Participant

Here is a pic describing what I meant about the Enable Terminal on a Feedback Node.

feed.png

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
CRivett

Hey, I saw the orignal post where you can just right click the tunnel and use the previous value. how can i implement this way of using the previous value if the tunnel is unwired. And what happens when it goes through the first itteration and the first case has unwired tunnels? they will be written over the next itteration but will this be a problem through the first itteration?

thanks very much

crossrulz
Knight of NI

CRivet,

You can't currently.  This board is the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.  This is where we post ideas for NI to implement in LabVIEW.  This was just one of those proposed ideas.  If you like the idea, give it a kudo.  The kudo in this board is like a vote to support the idea.  Supposedly, the more kudos the more NI will look at the idea.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
CRivett

oh i see, my mistake i'm still fairly new to labview thanks very much for the clarification 

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.